Tuesday, April 22, 2014

This is my toddler

Lately I have come to the realization that Zane is no longer my baby boy...it is kind of a hard pill to swallow. When did that happen?
Lately we have been trying to figure out sleeping arrangements with baby girl on the way and we decided that we were going to put Zane in a toddler bed so the crib would be free. And everything I read about baby #2 coming was to make sure all big changes (like bed changes) were set in place well before the baby came. So I knew a toddler bed wasn't far off. My parents still had mine from when I was little that my dad made me and said that we could use that one. So over my spring break I decided I was going to get everything ready...dressers painted, quilts made, bedrooms organized and get this boy in the toddler bed. Well I got my first glimpse of my new "stay-at-home mom" life and let me tell you...I shouldn't make big plans to accomplish a lot of things because I got maybe a fourth of my to-do list done...and getting his toddler bed ready, well the room in general, was not one of the boxes checked off. 
Anyway, around that time Zane had started acting really weird about naps and bed time. He no longer would go to sleep on his own. He always wanted one of us to stay in his room and rock in the rocking chair (not even holding him just sitting there) till he fell asleep. It was heartbreaking. He would cry and it was his scared cry...he was seriously afraid of something and we could not figure it out. So then I got serious about the toddler bed and said to Nick that maybe not being in a crib would help since he wouldn't feel trapped. So one night when we were both sick of rocking, we rearranged the room and put the toddler bed in and told him that was his new bed. He was thrilled (as you can see below) 
So now there he is, in his toddler bed...not a crib anymore. Nothing else about the room is done yet...The new bed spread isn't done yet and the decorations aren't done or anything but there is a toddler bed in there! It is definitely a bittersweet moment...I don't know when he grew up and how it happen so fast but he did and I don't know how I feel about it. I have loved watching him grow though. Every second of it. I would always hear the comments of "this is my favorite stage" as he was growing up learning to smile, or sit up, or crawl, or walk or talk or anything but honestly, I don't have a "favorite stage". I have loved it all. And I know (well hope) I will continue to love it all. I love this toddler of mine.  Next step...potty training...

No comments:

Post a Comment